Wednesday, November 12, 2008

There's something about little girls and their Granddaddys

I know when I was growing up my Granddaddy was the best guy ever! I loved doing things with him and going places with him. I spent pretty much every weekend with him and my Mozzie when I was young and we went on all sorts of fun adventures.

My girls feel the same way about their "Grandy". Their eyes light up and they get so excited when they know he's going to be with Mom picking them up on Wednesdays. They love hanging out with him, playing with him and just generally being with him. All of this is on my mind today because Isabelle is having mystery readers in her class this week for National Book Week. For those of you not in the know about mystery readers, it is exactly what the name implies. They are people who come in and read stories to the kids and the kids have no idea that they're coming. Belle was convinced that I was going to be a mystery reader for her class. Repeatedly she has told me that she knows I'm coming in to read. I kept telling her that I wasn't on the schedule and not to be disappointed when I wasn't one.

Flash forward to today: My Dad walks in to Belle's class to be the mystery reader and little Belly looks like she might cry she is so happy!!

My Dad has been going into Hayden's classes since she was in Kindergarten and being the mystery reader. The first year he went as "Crocodile Grandy" all dressed like Crocodile Dundee. The kids thought it was a hoot! He has played his digaridoo and juggled for her classes. He has never been into Belle's class but was all over it when I asked if he was interested in going this week. He brought a huge stack of books and Belle got to stand with him while he read to the class and the whole time she had this HUGE smile on her face. I asked her at the end if she had been surprised and she said "Yes, and I'm soooo happy that Grandy came!"

I'm telling you, little girls and their Granddaddys have a special bond. I know how important my Granddaddy was to me and I'm so blessed and lucky that my Dad loves to do stuff with the girls and is as crazy about his granddaughters as they are about him!

No comments:

Cheer Off Video

To watch the video, you'll first need to install the flash player.

'