It has happened....I have officially become my mother.
A little background story for you. When I was in 7th grade I went to my Mom and said "Mom I can't see the board at school." My Mom's response was "who has glasses that you're trying to be like?" To humor me, my Mom took me to get my eyes checked and when all was said and done, the doc turns to my Mom and says "How are her grades?" When my Mom told him that I made A's his response was "I don't see how when there is absolutely no way this kid can see the board."
I got ice cream on the way home....and glasses.
So now I'm the Mom and Hayden comes to me and says "Mommy, I can't see the board."
My knee-jerk reaction was to ask which of her friends had glasses. I stopped myself....barely. Of course I still thought she was full of it because she was throwing around terms like "nearsighted". How would an 8 year old know a term like that unless she has heard someone was and wanted to be like that too?
I was talking with some friends at lunch Thursday who suggested I see if the school nurse had some ideas (thanks Tracey and Durene!!). I called up there and explained what was going on, that it wasn't that I didn't want to get her seen if there was a problem, but that I didn't want to pay $150 to find out she was fine, blah blah and was told that it wouldn't be a problem for them to test her. They would pull her out of class and tell her it was a random screening.
Flash to Friday afternoon.
Hayden gets in the car and is super excited because...she got pulled out of class and screened. (Not sure why this was so exciting but hey she's 8!) She goes on and on about how she passed the hearing test. blah blah blah (this is not disinterest I'm just letting you know that it went on and on).
I asked was that all they did. Silence. I asked again. Quietly she tells me that she didn't pass the eye test. (What you may need to know about Hayden at this point is that she DOES NOT like to fail.....at anything. Apparently that also includes eye tests!!) I asked her if the nurse sent anything home letting me know and she says no.
"Ah ha!!", I think. She really did pass or else they would have sent something home, right?
Or they could have called the house to let me know that yes, wonderful mother who did not believe her child, your child failed the eye test and needs to be checked by a doctor.
Yeah, I've become my Mom.
Guess we'll be going for glasses......and ice cream.



2 comments:
She is going to look SO cute in her glasses.
This is SO funny! I especially love how you said she doesn't like to fail at anything...even eye tests! LOL Have a great week!
Post a Comment