Sunday, October 26, 2008

I was tagged....


I was tagged by Shalina and Suzanne so I guess I doubly have to do this! I'm a little behind but I think that's probably okay. So here goes, 7 facts you may not know about me.

1: My Mom tried to teach me to drive a stick shift when I was first learning to drive. We spent more time giggling and stalling than anything. So the way that I really learned how to drive a stick shift was when I needed/wanted to get to a friend's house one day and my Mom was at work and the only car at the house was the stick shift. She told me to be careful and good luck! It was actually kind of funny because I did a lot of stalling, cussing, laughing, maybe a little crying and a normally 20 minute trip took me 1 1/2 hours. I kid you not.

2: I wanted to be a vet when I was growing up (which is funny because that is what Belle wants to be now) and was emphatic that I would NEVER be a nurse. I even went to Auburn to go to vet school. At the time I worked in the summers at a vet clinic. One afternoon I was squatted down starting an IV on a Chow (evil, evil dogs) and he came at me and almost bit my face. I decided then and there that I DID NOT want to be a vet.

3: I got into nursing school one week before classes were going to start. As previously mentioned I was never going to be a nurse. I graduated from Auburn and was planning on going to Physical Therapy school. Worked at a clinic and totally nixed that idea. I was working at a doctor's office and was tired of what I was doing. On a whim I started calling nursing schools to see what I would need to do to apply. I had realized at this point that nursing was the perfect career if I wanted to have kids because it gave me schedule options. Never say never! Anyway, I called Emory and started talking with the Dean of Nursing who asked me "Could you start classes next week?" The answer was "Heck yeah!" and the rest is history.

4: My husband and I would love to own a huge piece of property and have a working farm raising horses and cows. Shocked ya on that one, right? I know it will never happen but it is a dream of ours.

5: It took me a full summer to learn how to water ski. Sad but true. My parents took me out many, many, many times that summer and pulled me around many, many, many parts of Lake Lanier. I think my mind couldn't quite get over that I had to let the boat pull me up. I wanted to stand up once the boat started and then fight to stay up. Apparently I still do it that way. Or at least I did until I blew out my knee. I haven't skied since. I keep thinking about trying it again and then get worried about my knee. For some reason I had this silly song that I kept singing the whole time I was trying to get up, "Running Bear Loved Little White Dove". And no, it wasn't a Prince song. I'm not even sure how I knew this song or if I had even heard any of the rest of it. Bizarre! I'll have to see if I can find it online to share with you because I know you're dying to hear it! I think I got so much water up my nose and other various places that I probably lowered the lake a few feet that summer.

6: I tore my ACL in my left knee playing soccer and had to have surgery when I was 28. The sad part (as if the whole thing wasn't sad?) was that it was a pick up game because the team we were supposed to be playing didn't show up. I was defending a girl and was behind her, my foot was set and got caught in the astroturf (it was indoor soccer) and when she pushed against me my whole body moved but my foot didn't. Pain, suffering and agony. I had an MRI on the night before Thanksgiving that showed the tear. I had surgery a few months later. Thank goodness for my Mom who let me stay at their house and gave me an intercom so that I could call when I had to go to the bathroom or turn over at night!

7: I went to the Governor's Honors Program the summer after my junior year in English with a minor in Drama. Hey! Maybe that's where my kids get it!! Anyway, I was nominated by my English teacher and had to submit an essay for an application. I was accepted and spent my summer down in Valdosta at the GHP program.

Okay, there you have it. Seven things you may or may not have known about me. I don't know 7 people that blog if you take away all the people who have already been tagged or have tagged me sooooo... I'm tagging Hayley and Christy.

3 comments:

Mom to the 3rd Power said...

Funny story about learning how to drive stick. To this day, I love getting into the car with any new stick driver because it's just so funny.
Ugh on the knee thing. That'll put a little bit of fear in ya.

Me said...

These were all new to me.
I still can't drive a stick (yes, I'm 41 years old). I could never be a vet - I would want to take home all of the sick and old animals that people bring in to be put out of their misery. I want to own a non-working farm (maybe a couple of horses) - Tommy, not so much. And, I've never water skied (yes, I'm 41 years old).

Anonymous said...

Glad you finally got to do it. I love stick shift stories. My dad was a very serious teacher...no shaningans in that car. I can remember sitting in the HS parking lot, trying to get up this little incline...totally reving the engine to get it started. Oh the joy!

Cheer Off Video

To watch the video, you'll first need to install the flash player.

'