Halloween costumes have been obtained!!! This may not sound like an awesome accomplishment, but if you think that then you don't know my two children very well!
We'll start with Belle who wasn't sure if she wanted to be Dorothy ("and not plain Dorothy, Mommy. I want bling on my dress." Yes, those were her exact words.) or Lucy from Narnia ("you could make me an outfit Mommy." This was after it was pointed out to her that there was no costume available for Lucy. Not too mention what an awesome seamstress I am....NOT!) We've gone back and forth on it. The Dorothy dress at Target "wasn't flashy enough". It was "too plain". And "with Jack in California there is no Toto; Stitch is too big". And shoes. "What if we can't find red sparkly shoes"? She "simply can not be Dorothy without red sparkly shoes". Then Narnia was watched....repeatedly, to see if she could figure out what she wanted to wear to be Lucy. We saw outfits at Target that I thought could be Lucy dresses. But, what do I know? I was told that "they DO NOT look like Lucy". This has been going on for weeks!! Thank goodness for Party City! We went there today on the Quest for Costumes. It was a little like Monty Pythons' Holy Grail without the Knights who Say Neep. And there with the sun shining on it like an omen (I think I heard angels singing "ahhhhhhhh") was the Dorothy costume with sparkly sequins on it. Belle stated that it was "PERFECT!" We even found a little basket with a stuffed Toto in it. Have I mentioned that I love Party City? Next it was on to Famous Footware who had SPARKLY RED SHOES ON CLEARANCE!!! But not in Belle's size. You wanna know how I knew it was meant to be? When we asked the salesclerk if they had a 13 in the back he answered "No, but there have been a pair of 13's on hold for over a week that you can have". Yes, it was a great costume experience and she is now ready for Halloween.
Now for Hayden, who had absolutely NO CLUE what she wanted to be for Halloween. It has been "What do you think I should be Mommy?" Of course every suggestion I had was shot down. "I don't want to be a fairy, a princess, a witch, a cat, a ghost." I even had her go online to look at costumes there. Another bust. Nothing at Target has interested her. Needless to say I was convinced this was going to be a fruitless quest. We arrive at Party City and go back to the costume aisle. If you haven't been in Party City during the Halloween season, let me tell you about the giant wall of costumes. You look at the pictures on the wall and decide what you want tell an associate the number and size, they relay it to the back and someone brings it out. A simple process, unless of course your 8 year old stands in front of the girls' section staring at the pictures without moving for 15 minutes!! You may think I'm kidding, but I'm not. 15 whole minutes with only her eyes moving looking over the costumes. Belle had her costume by this point and her and Andy had moved on (you know the Toto quest and all). The whole time I'm throwing out suggestions "look how cute this one is; how adorable you'd look in this one; how fun this one is." Nothing. And then a little voice, "Mommy all of them make you wear makeup." My little tomboy was stumped finding a costume because in all the pictures the girls had on eye makeup and lipstick and she did not want to get a costume and have to wear that. Tugged on my little heartstrings a little once I realized what was causing the problem and I quickly let her know that she did not have to wear any makeup with her costume. Once that was cleared up, she perked up and found one that she had been looking at online and at the store (the girl in the picture had on bright blue eyeshadow, blush and bright red lipstick) and decided that yes that was the one for her. She is going to be half devil/half angel and no she won't be wearing makeup. She will however have a pitchfork and cute tennis shoes. She wanted sparkly silver shoes that she would never wear again but settled on white tennies with sparkly silver trim that she can wear again. And they were on sale!! And now she is ready for Halloween.
The Quest has been concluded. The grail has been discovered and it is good. Halloween can now commence!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



2 comments:
Gotta LOVE that. I had to search all over the internet today for the Indiana Jones DELUXE child hat because of course Target doesn't carry it, NOR Party City, not even at the Halloween store. A lot of stores were sold out but leave up to old Ebay...got my kid's DELUXE hat. The "economy hat that came with the costume just wasn't cutting it. "Mom this hat DOES NOT look like his hat", and we must be authentic. So I feel your pain!
Ah, the quest for a Halloween costume - I have felt your pain. Last year we waited WAY too late and almost didn't find the black Spiderman from SM 3. And, when we did it was not the deluxe one. This year we went the first weekend Halloween Express was open and obtained an Anakin Skywalker costume - granted it is not Anakin from The Clone Wars, but it is Anakin and we are happy.
Post a Comment